I will find another Zeenat : Devanand (Little Interview by AM)
Chargesheet is a few hours from its release. How do you feel?
- I’m in a state of suspense. I’ve made a film with a lot of responsibility. Let the world decide. It is an original film and not a remake. It is a contemporary film against corruption in the police force. I have really worked hard. Ab dekhte hain kya hota hai. Honestly, I never get carried away. If there is no elevator, I still climb the stairs. When I call my colleagues, I have to go through six secretaries. I wonder what happened to them. I know they are busy, but who isn’t?
We hear, you have lot of NRI fans who finance your films. Right?
- Yes, they are prepared to put their money, but I have never asked for it.
What if Chargesheeet doesn’t do well?
- There are many films of mine that haven’t done well. My setbacks, frustrations, sorrows are very short-lived. That’s my definition of life. We all have our insecurities. Even the Prime Minister in a democracy is insecure, so why not me?
How was it working with Riya Sen in Chargesheet? She is known to throw a lot of tantrums.
- Riya needed pampering. I did that. I think the boys too pampered her. See, the thing is, wisdom nahi aati hai young ladkiyon ko. She would come late on the sets. She made her own clothes. Agar main banata toh kuch aur baat hoti.
Ramesh Sippy admitted in an interview with Mumbai Mirror (Sep 29) that he had offended you by tampering with your iconic Dum Maro Dum song.
- For your information, all that is over. Yesterday, Ramesh called to congratulate me on Chargesheet and we spoke to each other after a long time. His son Rohan also called later. The issue is sorted now.
Coming to the many romantic liaisons in your life… you, it was believed, were attracted to Zeenat Aman. Also, Suraiya and you were in a relationship before that. Who else?
- There are certain things in life that I don’t wish to reveal. This is one of them. Isn’t making love a beautiful thing? Attraction is a beautiful thing. If a man is not attracted, then he must be a sage or an angel. I am still attracted to girls. When that doesn’t happen, I will stop making films. Read between the lines.
Was it Suraiya’s love for you that kept her from getting married ever?
- I loved her. I wanted to marry her. I had a ring made for her. I never asked her why she couldn’t marry me. If she had loved me, then I would have gone to her house. I would travel by train, knock at her door and people would see me waiting outside her house. She was a huge star and I was only an intelligent, young man (pauses and looks at the ceiling). No, after that, we never kept in touch. I didn’t want to interfere with her life. When we parted ways, I cried over my brother’s shoulder (pauses again). After sometime, I overcame it. And I was busy looking for some other beautiful thing (smiles faintly).
Were you disappointed with your son Suniel when he put an end to his acting career after his debut flopped?
- I was let down slightly. He’s a good thinker. He made a film in Chicago, USA. He looks after my company. I need someone to do that.
Are you in touch with your nephew Shekhar Kapur?
- Shekhar Kapur was a young college kid in London who once told me, “Dev Uncle, please put me in movies.” I cast him in Ishq Ishq Ishq where he met Shabana for the first time. And they were together. Today, he never bothers me nor do I bother him. .
You were incommunicado after Shammi Kapoor passed away?
- I was deeply saddened. Sorrow does not mean that you have to go to a funeral. I cannot attend funerals. I don’t go to weddings either; today, people get married and divorced within such a short time.
Is your next film Hare Rama Hare Krishna 2?
- Yes. I have a wonderful script, which is not a remake but an extension of the old one. I will be in that film. But I shall get another Zeenat. Wait and watch.
There must be something in your life that you still haven’t got…
- I still want everything. I have done nothing.